Saturday 21 July 2012

Chapter 1

First, let me start off with what an opening sentence should be.  It should be a hook.  It should draw you in and tug you on to the next sentence and then onto the next sentence.

"I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror."

I just don't find it a compelling start.  But I have to read on no matter what.  What have I let myself in for?

Quick summary:

Ana is an idiot and finds herself agreeing to drive 165 miles from Vancouver to Seattle, not Vancouver, Canada but Vancouver, WA, because her best friend, Kate, has the flu and has convinced Ana to go to interview a corporate tycoon who she knows nothing about.  Her friend gives her no prep on the guy (and Ana is apparently ignorant of Google and it's powerful searching capabilities) but does give her a list of questions (that she seems to forget as soon as she gets into the room with Grey).  From the sounds of it, it's not the first time that Kate has pulled this crap on Ana but Ana still thinks that she is beautiful.

So Kate lends Ana her Merc CLK and Ana speeds off to another country and goes into the stereotypical corporate offices of Grey's company where everyone is preternaturally beautiful and blonde.  Ana feels out of place as soon as she arrives because she hasn't dressed up.  Christian Grey must pay very well because even the security guards are dressed to the nines.  There's an intern there who makes the cardinal sin of not offering a cup of tea.  How dreadful!  But worry not, there is a senior blonde, beautiful secretary there to point out the error of her ways.

She gets to meet Grey and immediately falls over her feet.  Grey helps her up and she fumbles everything.  She goes off script pretty much straight away (forgetting the questions and not even looking down at the questions in front of her) and Grey is starting to get pissed off until she slips in that Kate compiled the questions and that Ana didn't have anything to do with the questions.

She ends the interview rather quickly and without asking anything even resembling a good question and Grey is all over her like slime on a snail.  Eventually, she leaves, with the intern doing a sterling job of summoning the elevator.  Sparks fly between Ana and Christian and the chapter ends.

My Thoughts:


After the first section, I find myself not liking Kate at all.  You have the flu, but you ask your best friend with no interest in journalism and a full schedule to drive 165 miles to ask some industrialist some questions.  165 miles takes at least three hours to drive, and three hours back.  That's six hours before you even start thinking about finding the building, parking and actually asking the questions.  Why couldn't she have called in another journalist?  If it's taken 9 months to organise an interview, then this is a big deal and she could set up another budding journalist who will be able to use it for their portfolio and will owe her major favours.

Only for you, Kate, would I do this.
“I will. Good luck. And thanks Ana – as usual, you’re my lifesaver.”
Gathering my satchel, I smile wryly at her, then head out the door to the car. I cannot believe I have let Kate talk me into this. But then Kate can talk anyone into anything. She’ll make an exceptional journalist. She’s articulate, strong, persuasive, argumentative, beautiful – and she’s my dearest, dearest friend.

Ana, you need to wise up.  She's already sounding like a user.  The 'as usual' says that she's asked you to pull her ass out of the fire before and you've bent and taken it before.  You say that she's 'articulate, strong, persuasive, argumentative, beautiful' and I think 'she better be a fantastic lay'.  I'm being a little unfair though, I think.  I may be reading too much into that paragraph, but those are my first impressions of Kate so far.

Also, what student has a Mercedes CLK?  I'm starting to get suspicious of Kate.  No spoilers please, but honestly, she's dealing drugs on the side or operating as a professional madam or something, yeah?

I can understand Ana's feelings once she gets to office but I have to think that it's her own fault.  If you know that you're going to be interviewing the CEO of an organisation that employs 40,000 people, wouldn't you dress up a little more, try to look a little professional?  She kinda does this by putting on her one and only skirt, a pair of boots and a jumper.  When your mate owns a CLK and doesn't object to lending it to you, she can probably lend you a few things from her wardrobe.  The one thing that comes across in the whole description of the office, the people and everything about the introductions to Christian Grey's empire points to the fact that Ana is suffering from low self-esteem.

Grey, on the other hand, is introduced as the stereotypical golfing CEO but there's something about Christian that rings all the wrong bells.  He starts off as a nice guy, helping up the clumsy girl, but as soon as he senses weakness, he pounces.  He turns the whole interview around on her and then comes just shy of offering her a job.  Sexual harrassment in the workplace anyone?

There's definitely lust there, on Ana's side anyway, but Christian with his gut feelings and ability to judge people, I'm not sure that he doesn't smell an easy mark.  And that's what she is.  She has no plans for the future that don't involve moving to the city with her friend. 

At the moment, I can identify with Ana, but Christian leaves me feeling very conflicted.  Ana seems to have called it right when she calls him a control freak.

Chapter 2 next...

No comments:

Post a Comment